5 Reasons to start now.
Written by Tribe Leader – Beck Horne
Are you dreaming of something big?
Feeling a whispering in your heart to write a book? Launch a business? Change direction? Whatever it is, have you felt like you’ve somehow missed the boat of getting closer to that big, shiny dream? Life has gotten in the way and it feels like time is no longer on your side. Take heart because here are five reasons why you absolutely can start now and get closer to that big, sparkly dream.
- We don’t become something, we are it already. It was Pablo Picasso who said, “I don’t develop: I am.” These beautiful words and the wisdom behind them, affirms we are enough.
- It’s pretty clear that life expectancies are much longer which means more productive years than ever before. So why am I stuck in the mindset that by 40 if I haven’t made my mark, I’ve somehow missed the boat? Quite the opposite. According to Tom Butler Bowden, author of “It’s never too late to be great”, if you are 40 you still have 67% of your productive years remaining. How game changing is that? As the big 4-0 is approaching, I have been thinking long and hard about how I’ve spent those last four decades. Have I made a difference to the lives of others? Not yet. Achieved what I want career wise? Definitely not. Created the life and family I love? YES. Lived with purpose and taken risks? Sometimes. After reading I still have more than two-thirds of time left to do, create and give, I have been able to relax into the rhythm of turning the ‘not yets’ and ‘sometimes’ into my lifetime’s work.
- There is at least a 10 year lead time to success. There must be deliberate practise involving constant work to be slightly better every day. I take heart knowing those 10 years may have already begun and by keeping on doing what I’m doing each day, this consistent action is leading me one step at a time closer to my purpose. Martin Luther called his 10 years in which he quietly formed his ideas, as his years of “working in the mud.” If now is my time of working in the mud, then my first 40 years have been the platform from which my real life’s work can begin.
- The older we get, the less we are a product of our upbringing and the more we are a sum of our previous decisions. Every decision you have made in the past has led to this point today. You can shape and mould your future by continuing to make decisions based on the path of your choosing.
- Your future is spotless. You have a blank canvas ready and waiting for the colours of choice, passion and purpose to be painted with unlimited possibilities. Mix in some gratitude and service to others. Know there is time. Work on it daily. You have all the tools to create the masterpiece of your life. This masterpiece will be your legacy.
What is it that you dream of doing?
At the end of your life, what would you regret not doing more than anything?
Get really clear on what it is your heart desires. Do the Best Life Declaration. Join the Tribe in the green box at the top right of this page.
Without knowing what it is you want from life is like doing a jigsaw without the picture of the finished puzzle.
Then start now. Because it’s not too late.